Musical Analysis #2

 YoungBoy Never Broke Again 

Lonely Child



Lonely Child by Youngboy Never Broke Again was written by him, himself and was released in 2019. Kentrell, also known as Youngboy is from Baton Rouge, Louisiana but now stays in Los Angeles. When listening to Lonely Child, I feel a wave of emotion connecting to the lyrics themself and feeling like I understand how Youngboy is actually feeling while he was writing and singing these lyrics. This song makes me sad and just think about how many people are actually in this world today feeling like they can't talk to anyone about how they feel or what they're going through. 


Lyrics 

The lyrics being sang in this song by Youngboy clearly shows that he is someone who has been through a lot and is hurting but put up a wall to hide how he truly feels around others. When listening to these lyrics I personally relate because I am not the type of person to speak to anyone about my feelings. I would much rather figure things out on my own. In the beginning of his song, he is talking and basically saying that when he first came out as a rapper he may have made it seem like he doesn't have feeling but he is still a boy, a human and someone who just wants to feel like he is loved. Throughout the song, I almost feel every word and it just makes me think about times I have had and pushed my feelings to the back when around others portraying nothing but a happy life. 

Beat and Tempo

The beat and tempo in this song is more fast paced so you wouldn't really see it coming off as a sad song but I feel like it makes the song easier to listen to and more catchy. The beat and the tempo match his voice which is a little more on the aggressive side, which in my opinions causes me to feel and really understand the lyrics instead of just hearing them play over the beat and tempo.  

Dynamics

The dynamics in this song seem to sit right in the middle of soft and loud but certain parts of the song clearly portray the loud dynamic areas. I think the dynamics are heard as louder than the other parts of the song when he is trying to make sure that we hear him say that he is a lonely child and when he tells us what he wants, needs and feels. Those areas are where my attention is caught most because you almost hear the hurt in his voice and then I start wanting to know more of why he feels the way he feels and what can be done to help him. 

Melody

The melody in this song is soft which does not really match the beat and tempo but it corresponds with the lyrics and the feeling behind the lyrics. When tuning out everything except Youngboy and his melody in the background it sounds like he is just telling a story. When listening to the melody I begin to imagine myself walking down a long road and just hearing little thoughts in my head guiding me. 

Articulation

The articulation in this song has more of an accent sound. It is very sharp in between each section of lyrics. Him having this type of articulation allows me to know that there is something next and tells me to wait and see what he has to say. The articulation is very clear and it brings out the beginning of his lyrics erasing any past thoughts and forcing me to listen. 




"How he renders it is striking: a sing-rap drawl, sometimes emphatic and sometimes absent-minded, flecked with light touches of the blues," is what was stated in a New York Times article. Another article states that "it’s one of those vital records in his discography where it’s not only a demonstration of his ever developing craft, it attempts to give the audience a glimpse at the person Youngboy wants to project through his music. He’s not entirely mournful or sad on the song as he is melancholy, surly, maybe even a little bit unstable." 
Youngboys music shows his feelings but in a way that he feels is accepted. He says how he feels but under a beat that doesn't show much sadness. He is clearly going through things, but that is not the only thing he speaks on in this song. 










Sources:

Caramanica, Jon. “The Gut-Level Emotions of YoungBoy Never Broke Again.” The New York Times, The New York Times, 13 Nov. 2019, www.nytimes.com/2019/11/13/arts/music/youngboy-never-broke-again-ai-youngboy-2-review.html.

Cavaseno, Maxwell. “Lonely Child: Youngboy Never Broke Again & Rappers Growing Up In The Spotlight.” HotNewHipHop, HotNewHipHop, 22 Oct. 2019, www.hotnewhiphop.com/lonely-child-youngboy-never-broke-again-and-rappers-growing-up-in-the-spotlight-news.93492.html.



















Comments

  1. I can relate to the act of putting on a happy face even when not experiencing the best circumstances! I found that he was raised by grandmother who has passed away and part of the lyrics are about mourning her- “I pray that grandmom keep me strong." Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YoungBoy is one of my favorite rappers. I agree that he tells his personal through his lyrics. "Im just a lonely child who needs someone to help him out." is a line that struck me the hardest. I feel the beat fits his style as an artist. However, I would agree, it doesn't sound as though it would be a sad song.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Music and the Fictive Dream

Get to Know Me

Role of the Performer